Going to the Grotto of St. Paul?

Travelers to Turkey: Have you been to the Grotto of St. Paul in Ephesus? If so, would you recommend it? What was your experience of it? (Time to get there and back.) I have permission to take a group up to it, just deciding if I have the time and if it is worth it. I think it is…. What’s your view?

7 Responses to “Going to the Grotto of St. Paul?”

1. Douglas Campbell says:

I’ve spent a lot of time there. It is fascinating. The earliest depiction of Paul, and immediately adjacent to Thecla. There are loads of scratched inscriptions too. Unfortunately, the eyes of the two figures have been scratched out. But I found the cave very moving and provocative. Having said that, it is a VERY tough climb up to it. Elderly and unfit people will simply not be able to make it. Very steep, long, and overgrown (at least, it was when I was there some years back). You will need illumination in there ideally.

2. Douglas Campbell says:

Oh, and a phenomenal view back over Ephesus from the ledge outside the cave, although you will have earned it.

Thanks very much, Douglas. Is it on the same hill as “Mary’s House”? Do you remember how long it took to walk to it?

4. Janet Gibson says:

Please, Where do I get permission to go into the Grotto of St. Paul? We are going to Turkey in May 2014. Thank you.

I’m not 100% sure–our tour company is handling that, so check with your tour company or guide.

6. Janet Gibson says:

7. Maurice Hansen says:

I really enjoyed it, It makes you think, This little chapel was there long after St. John Basilica collapsed during the earthquake, when the whole city disappeared, This little chapel remained.
    Makes you wonder what the people of old are trying to tell us .
    I’m no expert but I think this is the real deal .