The Date of the Second Coming, Etc.

In case you were wondering, here it supposedly is (actually more than one date), courtesy of Harold Camping’s ministry. HT Trey for the link.

8 Responses to “The Date of the Second Coming, Etc.”

1. I once heard it said (by John Dominic Crosson, no less) that there are stupid eschatologists and smart eschatologists.

Stupid eschatologists will tell you exactly when the world is going to end, and when that date comes and goes, they become irrelevant.

Smart eschatologists, on the other hand, will tell you that the day is coming soon, and as a result they keep your attention and remain relevant.

2. It’s great that we have such excellent intellectuals forecasting the end of the world.

I don’t think these guys have read much scripture or theology–and if they have–it’s been done with blinders on.

And, why is this such a fascination? I really don’t care about it; Christ comes when Christ comes.

3. Clay Knick says:

I saw this a few weeks ago. Will use it in the sermon for the 1st Sunday of Advent.

4. Paul D. says:

Andrew: it’s basically speculative fiction (fantasy/sci-fi) for repressed Christians who don’t allow themselves to indulge in normal emotional outlets, like reading actual science fiction and fantasy.

As a result, they come across this stuff and think “oh this is okay, it’s from the Bible” and completely over-engorge themselves, like a starving man happening upon a dessert buffet.

5. Paul D. says:

Addendum to above: at least, that’s my impression as someone who’s been around a lot of End Times enthusiasts.

Eric,

I like the Crossan quote, though you may be aware that there is a branch of sociology of religion devoted to “when prophecy fails.”

As for the reasons for the interest and gullibility of so many Christians and others, I’m less inclined to speculate and blame, at least with respect to lay people. Clergy should know better. but then I read the history of interpretation…

7. Eric Booth says:

Oh good… its after our anniversary and Patti’s birthday. She’ll be happy about that. haha…

Hasn’t Harold Camping been preaching the end of the world since the 90s? How is it that people are still listening to him???

Ric: :-D

There’s a whole sociological phenomenon called “when prophecy fails.” He’s not the first and will not be the last to be a subject of this topic.