Postmodern Reading Suggestions?

Can anyone suggest an accessible, brief (10-20 pages) overview of postmodernism/the postmodern situation for theological students? I’m currently suggesting an excerpt from Colossians Remixed but am anxious for other ideas. Have not had time to look around recently.

I may be back blogging soon. Explanations to come…

9 Responses to “Postmodern Reading Suggestions?”

1. d. miller says:

Hello Michael,

Have you considered an excerpt from AKMA’s 96 page, ?

2. d. miller says:

Let’s try that again: AKMA’s ‘What is Postmodern Biblical Criticism?’

3. Nathan says:

Are we talking culture or philosophy? Has Contemporary Apologetics Misread Postmodernism? by Chad Lakies is 10 pages and I think it’s useful material. The Antimoderns in Christianity Today was also good, if I remember correctly.

4. mshedden says:

You could pick practically any of the essays from The Cambridge companion to postmodern theology Edited by Kevin J. Vanhoozer. They are all very good and point not to A postmodern theology but postmodern theologies (an important distinction). If it’s for a class you could just have each student pick one and report on it.
    Hope that helps.

5. Tony Hunt says:

No question in my mind, Graham Ward’s introductory essay to his edited volume “The Postmoder God” (Blackwell) is the best essay of the sort I’ve read. It’s entitled “Introduction, or, A Guide to Theological Thinking in Cyberspace”

Nathan: I meant culture primarily, though not exclusive of philosophical trends.

Thanks to all for the good ideas.

7. Ben says:

Also, I agree with Graham’s essay in “The Postmodern God.”

8. David Moser says:

I really appreciate “Who’s Afraid of Postmodernism?” by James K.A. Smith. Really good intro to some of the major postmodern figures in dialogue with Christian theology.

Thanks, David. I don’t know the article or chapter. Where was it published?

BTW (to all), I ended up having people read a little Walsh and Keesmaat (chapter 1 of Colossians Remixed), A.K.M. Adam (chapter 1 of What is Postmodern Biblical Criticism?), Kevin Vanhoozer (chapter 1 of the Cambridge volume on postmodern theology he edited), and, on the lighter side, a brief chapter from one of Brian McLaren’s books (The Church on the Other Side).