Hays and Hauerwas Online

Two of my friends who also happen to be two of the best theologians in the world are Duke’s Richard Hays and Stanley Hauerwas. Richard recently preached a great sermon on 2 Corinthians 5 and reconciliation (here), and Stanley gave a wonderful commencement address on “speaking Christian” and ministry at Eastern Mennonite Seminary (here—a pdf file).

Tolle lege!

9 Responses to “Hays and Hauerwas Online”

1. Angela says:

Mike,
    Thanks for posting these. In Hays’ sermon, I was taken back a bit when I read that the word reconciliation was not a “religious” term but a “political” one. His reading was very dramatic. Paul bursting out with, ““If anyone is in Christ . . . New Creation!” Poof!! I became anxious to see how the political element would interplay with New Creation.

Yet, I am unclear what the politics of it is. Is it the transformation of the world and the newness thereof? Is it that we have embodied the reconciliatory role now? How is it “political” to transform behaviors in light of the death and resurrection of Christ? I think I am missing something. Perhaps, I have a misunderstanding of the term “political” in light of Paul’s day? When you can, please tell me what I am missing. Thanks.

2. Jim McCafferty says:

Dr. Gorman,

I’m reading your book, Apostle of the Crucified Lord, for a class in
    Pauline literature taught by Tim Carmody of Spring Hill College in Mobile,
    Alabama.

I just looked you up on the web and was pleased to see that you are a
    United Methodist. My father, grandfather, and greatgrandfather were
    Methodist . ministers (M. E. Church South, Methodist Church, United
    Methodist Church). My family and I swam the Tiber 11 years ago, at the
    age of 45, and am now a Byzantine Catholic. There being no Byzantine
    Church in Mississippi, we attend a Roman rite parish.

Any way, I’m working on a master’s in the theology through Spring Hill’s
    extension program here in Jackson, Mississippi. One hundred and ten pages
    into your book, I want to say that it is excellent. It is entirely
    scholarly, yet Christian at the same time. Indeed, thus far, I find it
    strengthens my faith–unlike some of the junk I’ve read in the 21 hours of
    graduate courses I’ve had to date. I hope you’re not one of these guys
    who thinks he’s failed if he’s strengthened someone’s faith.

The book needs an index–that’s my main criticism. Also, when you say
    “most scholars think,” you could use a citation. I want to know who
    those scholars are and who surveyed them. I really don’t see how anyone
    could say “most scholars think” about much of anything.

Those problems aside, I love the book. I rarely buy a book for class. I
    usually try to get them through interlibrary loan because I rarely find
    one I care about keeping.

I am glad I bought your book. And, for a guy who has no room for books in his house that’s a high compliment.

Thanks for a great book.

Peace to all,

Jim McCafferty
    Jackson, Mississippi

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your kind message. I hope you feel the same way after 500 or 600 pages! And no, I don’t feel like the book is a failure if it strengthens your faith–quite the contrary.

As for the index, I guess we thought that the contents of so much of the book (after the first 100 pages) was so self-evident, proceeding letter by letter, that an index was less necessary. But if there is ever a second edition, maybe it will get added. As for “most scholars think,” if you’ve read thousands of books on a topic you can occasionally say that. We determined not to use footnotes for the most part because it is a “textbook.” And citations for “most scholars think” would be unwieldy. All that said, thanks for the two suggestions.

I hope, BTW, that you find some other books worth keeping. And pass on my thanks to your prof for his wisdom in selecting this particular text!

Blessings,

Mike Gorman

4. Peter says:

I enjoyed RHay’s sermon so much that I printed it out and immediately translated it for my family (who don’t speak English). They lapped it up.

The past year my faith has been re-energized by the concept of New Creation and the focus on what GOD has done, rather than what I have done (good or bad), which seems to be the emphasis of so many churches.

I have never had the opportunity to study theology formally but am a keen “amateur”. Thank you for keeping this blog, which gives me plenty of food for thought.

Peter

Wonderful! Tell me about your family. Where are you? (if I may ask these questions)

6. Peter says:

I live in a small town in Panama, close to the border with Costa Rica. My wife and two daughters are CR. I’m English, from London, but have lived in Central America for 30 years.

Thanks; very interesting!

8. There is nothing that can be as stressful as the Trojan virus today to a computer end user. There are many tried and tested tools on how to remove a Trojan virus in the market today. With these tools how to remove a Trojan virus from your computer’ operating system is a do it yourself thing that calls for no particular expertise. Trojans are such a pain in the butt and they can be very annoying. My guide will give you a hand.

9. Terrific, this information is exactly what I was searching for