N.T. Wright for Everyone and Upcoming Conference

Each year Wheaton College near Chicago holds a conference on theology. This year’s conference, which I hope to attend, will be on the work of Bishop N.T. (Tom) Wright on Jesus and on Paul. There are excellent—no, world-class—participants (Jeremy Begbie, Markus Bockmuehl, Richard Hays, Edith Humphrey, Sylvia Keesmaat, Nick Perrin, Marianne Meye Thomson, Kevin Vanhoozer, and Brian Walsh) plus, of course, presentations by the good bishop himself.

As part of the run-up to the conference, Bishop Wright’s former teaching assistant, Nijay Gupta (Ph.D., Durham), and some other folk are posting short papers to introduce people to NTW’s work. Nijay’s excellent summary of NTW’s work on Paul is introduced here and can be found in full here.

9 Responses to “N.T. Wright for Everyone and Upcoming Conference”

1. Dr. Gorman,
    Thanks for pointing out Nijay Gupta’s summary of NTW. As a new student (generally, but especially of Wright), I found it very helpful and thought-provoking. My appetite has been whet…

You’re welcome, David, and you’re now blogging! Cool!

3. Zetanya says:

Just a technical note about dr Gupta having been NT Wright’s former teaching assistent. NT Wright only taugh one module in Durham which was in 2008/9. He had four teaching assistents for the module of which dr Gupta was one. Others included dr Richard Briggs and mr Ben Blackwell.

Zetanya, Thank you for the clarification, but there is nothing erroneous about my statement and really no need for this comment.

5. Zetanya says:

Michael,
    My intention was certainly not to create the impression that you said something “erroneous”! I’m really sorry if that is the impression you got. Nijay is a good guy, but because I attended the one module in Durham myself, I thought it fair to the other teaching assistents to mention that there wasn’t only “assistent”. No hard feelings.

6. Zetanya says:

Michael,
    My intention was certainly not to create the impression that you said something “erroneous”! I’m really sorry if that is the impression you got. Nijay is a good guy, but because I attended the one module in Durham myself, I thought it fair to the other teaching assistants to mention that there wasn’t only one “assistant”. No hard feelings.

Thanks, and understood. My only point in all this was not to give a full account of NTW’s teaching at Durham but to say something about (some of) Nijay’s credentials for this little essay.

8. Nate Dawson says:

Have you decided for sure if you’ll be attending!

If so I’d love to chat. I’m friends with Steve Fowl and he said you’d be a great guy to connect with regarding my research through the University of Wales, Lampeter.

Nate,

Yes, I am going and will contact you by email.