Haiti and Hatred

I was resisting the urge to comment on the sick, sad comments by certain alleged evangelists and political commentators. Then I began reading some of the completely understandable–but in some cases quite hateful—responses, on TV, on the Internet, on Facebook, etc.

So how does crux probat omnia (“the cross probes everything”) work here?

1. For our dear brothers and sisters in Haiti: Romans 8:18ff / In Christ we learn that suffering does not mean the punishment or absence of God, for Christ embodies the love and presence of God for us even in suffering. // 1 Corinthians 12.26 / If one member suffers, all suffer together with it…. We are crying and praying with you.

2. For those speaking and spreading such unChristian and inhuman things: Luke 23:34 / “Father, forgive them, for they have no clue what they are saying and doing.”

3. For us in our safe places: Give up something; be sacrificially generous.

8 Responses to “Haiti and Hatred”

1. Ric Booth says:

Thank you. And Amem.

2. Frank says:

Thanks. It’s easy for us to use Robertson’s and Limbaugh’s methods against them and feel justified in doing it. I appreciate this perspective.

3. Dr. Gorman,

Have you read Al Mohler’s response to some of the things that are being said? Here is a quote: “Everything about the tragedy in Haiti points to our need for redemption. This tragedy may lead to a new openness to the Gospel among the Haitian people. That will be to the glory of God. In the meantime, Christ’s people must do everything we can to alleviate the suffering, bind up the wounded, and comfort the grieving. If Christ’s people are called to do this, how can we say that God hates Haiti?”

Ric and Frank—glad you found this helpful.

Nick—I have not read Mohler. I would take some issue with the quote, however. I think the Haitian people, by and large, are already quite open to the gospel. They are often called syncretists, but American Christians should be the last one to point the finger at others regarding syncretism. American Christianity is about as syncretistic as Christianity can get.

5. MDM says:

– Perhaps there is a need for (actual) Christian missionaries to come and Proclaim to us, Americans, what the gospel means, no?

A good idea, Michael. It does happen, too.

7. [...] easy for me to forgive Pat Robertson for such ignorant comments, in the name of God no less. But as Michael Gorman reminds us, if Luke 23:34 means anything, it means we forgive no matter the ignorance of Mr. [...]

8. Haiti Help says:

Hey Great Post! My prayers are with the Haiti peopleThe Haiti tragety totally sadens me and my heart goes out to them. ; I just donated to the Red Cross and urge you all to do the same too.  What a sad time for these people. I found a great site with a list of legitimate companies to go to offer Haitian CharitiesI just donated to the Red Cross. My prayers are with the Haitian people.