Parousia Date Announced: May 21, 2011

Fundamentalist radio commentator Harold Camping is at it again. He has announced the correct date of Jesus’s second coming, etc. as May 21, 2011—just 16 months away! (Yeah!!)

Camping got it wrong last time—September 6, 1994. Maybe he and those of his persuasion should listen to James Kreuger, author of Secrets of the Apocalypse – Revealed (not to be confused with my forthcoming Reading Revelation Responsibly), who says this about Camping, after 40 years of studying the “end times”:

“For all his learning, Camping makes a classic beginner’s mistake when he sets a date for Christ’s return. Jesus himself said in Matthew 24:36, ‘Of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my father only.’ ” (quoted by Justin Berton, San Francisco Chronicle, January 1, 2010)

12 Responses to “Parousia Date Announced: May 21, 2011”

1. Luke says:

Dr. Gorman,

If you don’t mind me asking, when will your “Reading Revelation Responsibly” (nice alliteration!) come out? I only ask because I am taking an eschatology course this spring and looking for good books to read for it. I have placed an order for Bauckham’s “Theology of the book of Revelation” and Isaac’s “Left Behind or Left Befuddled.” It’s not a class on Revelation, but since that’s such a prominent book when used to teach on the doctrine of eschatology I thought it would be good to try and get a good handle on.

2. Thanks goodness someone knows! lol. Dr. Gorman I am reading through your book ‘Reading Paul’ as part of my ‘A Year with Paul’ adventure ;-) . Perhaps you can check it out at my blog (and tell me if I am infringing the copyright. lol).

3. Aww man…I said ‘Thanks goodness’….I gotta go to bed.

Luke,

The book should be out in the summer or early fall. Sorry. But there’s lots of good stuff out there on Rev, including especially Bauckham’s book and Mitchell Reddish’s commentary from Smith and Helwys.

Nick,

Thanks for the blog post! I will have some additional looks later. No infringement yet! Have fun reading Paul this year.

5. Hehehe. Thanks! I never know how much is too much to quote. By the way, “Paul in one sentence” is one of the greatest things ever. I shall commit it to memory.

6. Josh Rowley says:

Looking forward to your book on Revelation, Michael. Any thoughts on Apocalypse Recalled by Harry Maier?

7. Michael N. says:

That is sweet! What is so cool about it is that anyone with an Excel spreadsheet can easily calculate it:

“Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500.

Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared.”

It doesn’t get any simpler than that. I like his contempt for the end coming in 2012.

‘”That date has not one stitch of biblical authority,” Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. “It’s like a fairy tale.”

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011. ‘

Clearly.

Josh,

It’s been some time since I read Maier—quite dense in places as I recall—but I like his proposal that we Western Christians need to read Revelation as Laodiceans.

9. RevDrDRE says:

Mike,
    I lived in Brooklyn when Dr. Camping made a prediction regarding 1994 as the date for the Lord’s return. My family physician was such a follower of Camping that he talked about that prediction to me every time I came by his office for myself or one of my children. He eventually let his staff go because he was sure they wouldn’t have a job after 1994 and he was getting ready for the end! Sad.

I had forgotten that your book on Revelation is coming out soon! I happen to be preaching a sermon series right now from Revelation. My congregation has expressed appreciation for it so far. We’ll see how it goes…

I’d love to hear/see some of your sermons, Dennis.

Sad indeed about your former physician… I may (with your permission) include that story in the book’s intro.

11. RevDrDRE says:

Mike,
    sure. feel free to include the story — I can talk to you in person about it as well. my sermons can be found at http://www.peace-dc.org/blog

Thanks, Dennis. It’s in.

I plan to listen to the sermons.