Romans Course Syllabus

I have made my decision about required readings for my fall 2009 course on Romans. Thanks to all who gave input some time back.

Required Texts
1. Michael J. Gorman, Reading Paul (Cascade, 2008)
2. Leader E. Keck, Romans (Abingdon NT Commentaries; Abingdon, 2005) (Richard Hays is also using this, with Tom Wright’s in the NIB, as a common commentary this fall.)
3. One additional (and longer) commentary, selected in consultation with the instructor, to be read in the library or purchased (student’s choice). Options will include Byrne, Cranfield, Dunn, Fitzmyer, Moo, Schreiner, Wright, etc.
4. J. R. Daniel Kirk, Unlocking Romans: Resurrection and the Justification of God (Eerdmans, 2008)
5. Several additional articles on the purpose, theology, and theopolitics (e.g. Georgi) of Romans.

Recommended Texts
1. Mark Reasoner, Romans in Full Circle: A History of Interpretation (Westminster John Knox, 2005). Students will take turns reading and reporting on portions of this.
2. Michael J. Gorman, Elements of Biblical Exegesis: A Basic Guide for Students and Ministers, revised and expanded edition (Hendrickson, 2009)

Course Requirements and Grading
1. Regular attendance, preparation of an exegetical notebook with annotations on the text of Romans, and appropriate participation in class discussions. 40%
2. Four brief (two-page) papers: 20%
3. Final paper: 40%

7 Responses to “Romans Course Syllabus”

1. Scott Savage says:

Coincidentally, I am making my way through Romans this fall as a part of my personal study and am trying to collect good resources. I am limited on time so I can’t really make a go at it. I wonder if you wouldn’t you mind posting the list of articles you will be using for #5 (purpose, theology, theopolitics or Romans) when you settle on them?

2. Michael Bird says:

Interesting pick of Keck! I like his mini into to Paul’s letters and his take on Romans 7 is quite interesting. I like his incorporation of the Adamic side. Perhaps I should give it a second look.

3. Foolish Tar Heel says:

Any thoughts on Stan Stowers’ Reading Romans?

4. Keck is a personal favorite of mine-quite underrated.

Scott–Will do.

Michael–I cut my teeth in respect to Paul on his intro.

Stowers has a lot to offer in particular texts and themes (faith of Christ, adaptability) but there are difficulties with it, too. More later.

6. Gregory Mill says:

What do you think of his treatment of speech-in-character for Rom. 7, and self-mastery.

PS I found this page by Googling with the question of what MJG thinks of Stowers, Reading Romans?

Sorry for the delay–just got this comment.

I’ve not read Stowers in a long while, though I do think that self-mastery, while part of the issue in Rom 7, does not sufficiently express the fullness of the apocalyptic theology and anthropology going on there. As for speech in character, nearly everyone recognizes now that Paul is using such a device, or one similar, to speak on behalf of others. But that does not settle the question of which others!